2023 Palmer Fund
Book Scholarship Program
Statement of Purpose:
The Palmer Fund, Inc. was developed to honor the late Charles H. Palmer, Jr. and to exemplify his passion for education, and the further development of students. The primary goal of the fund is to develop programs that foster strong positive family relationships and mentoring of young people in order to improve academic success and community contributions. As one of the funds key initiatives, book scholarships will be provided to selected applicants within the Howard County School System.
General Scholarship Eligibility
- Must attend a public high school in Howard County, MD
- Must be a high school senior graduating in 2023
- Must plan to enter an accredited two or four-year University as a fulltime freshman for the Academic Year 2023-2024
All applicants for the Palmer Fund Book Scholarship will be evaluated upon their ability to achieve both academically, athletically, and an integral part of their local community. The applicant’s career and educational aspirations will be evaluated along with the response to one 500 word essay question. Optional letters of recommendation will also be reviewed. All Applications and supporting documents should be forwarded to the Palmer Fund Scholarship Committee in the original sealed envelope. Each application will be reviewed by the members of the Scholarship Committee.
For Further Information:
- The attached application form should be completed in its entirety.
- Completed application packets should be mailed to:
The Palmer Fund Inc.,
P.O. Box 6125, Columbia, MD 21045
Attn: Book Scholarship Committee
March 23, 2023
The following documents MUST be attached to your completed application form:
- An Official High School Transcript reflecting the cumulative grade point average, official school signature, and official school seal. The transcript must be in a separate sealed envelope within the application package.
- Optional Letters of Recommendation: Please provide letters of recommendation from a teacher, or other staff at the high, as well as from an organization verifying community service involvement. All recommendation letters must be on the organization’s official letterhead, and contain an original signature. (Persons writing recommendations must specify their relationship or capacity in which they have observed the applicant.)
- Autobiographic Sketch: Provide a one page autobiographic sketch including: academic/career goals, community service involvement, and any athletic involvement. Please highlight any leadership position in each activity.
- Essay Question: Provide a typewritten response in 500 words or less to the following question: How have your family circumstances influenced your current educational goals?
- Signatures: Scholarship application must be contain an original signature of the applicant and parent/guardian.